He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Fear the Chuck » | Cain (So Long Eden) » 

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 

Object of Affection

Tired of hearing about culture, community, and relevance

Most involved in the conversation abhor truth and repentance

Don't want to get tangled in Derek's new Webb

And strive against injustice, just because he & Bono said

You saw more clearly when you looked upside down

And don't forget there was blood involved when love came to town

Yes we should feed and care for the poor

But to simply fill their bellies is evil & premature

Justification is not by poverty & the diseased alone

It is by faith in Christ Jesus, His blood shed to atone

So sing about justice and search for AIDS cure,

But Christ must be the ends to your means, or your melody's manure

Atheists will assist the poor, just ask Hollywood,

So nail your message to the cross so you won't be misunderstood

Tell all the world, what is the Object of your affection

But understand our message is offensive, the world will have its objections

Perhaps one of you still hasn't found what you're looking for

I'm no saint, I still run down the aisle like a wh0re

But lets talk not just about culture, but the Creator who transforms

His true Bride, though wayward, that He continues to conform

Talk about community, but know it comes from fellowship with the King

And understand that Christ alone is the most relevant Thing

This comes from one who takes grape juice with his bread

But I don't want to glory in alcahol, I just want His fame to spread

We are to love justice, don't get me wrong, its in His Word

But when it becomes a fad, the "in thing", lines tend to get blurred

You must know your life and death hang on what's the Object of your affection

So Why you love mercy and your neighbor deserves some deep reflection
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***disclaimer
Please notice that I have Derek Webb's link on my page. He's a Godly Christ follower as far as I can tell from his music. I am a huge fan. This post is merely in response to his latest album's lyrics & how, even though I can assume a Cross-centered message on poverty and politics, it is not explicitly stated for the most part like his past solo albums & those with Caedmon's. Also, let's admit it, he's very cool, very "in" in the Christian community, and even in Reformed circles, & now people are looking into actually caring for the poor just because Derek sang about it. This is not bad in & of itself, I just want people to reflect on why they don't get moved when they read it loud & clear in the Word of God. I'm glad a singer/songwriter can move & call us to action, but I think that action has to be done not to simply help others but to glorify God (see Romans 14:23b).

As far as Bono, he may very well be a Christian. My intentions are not to judge Derek & Bono, but to bring to mind why we act when those in the lime-light speak but not when the common preacher opens the Word to us week by week. I also question why any Christian would hold Scripture up on equal footing with the Koran or any other religious writings. Again, I simply want us to not blindly follow "cool" Christians, though I am grateful that those who have fame use it rightly...but in order to use it fully, our message must be the foolishness of the cross, not man-centered moralism.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Today's Verse


(e.g., John 1 or God's love)

Shizuoka City Weather (where I'd rather be)

Unreached People Groups

Previous posts

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page