He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | How Do You Listen in Church? » | Choosing Your Waiter (on Deacons) » | The Fear of Life » | Justin Taylor on Adoption » | Your Best Life Now? » | Globalization & the Gospel » | Verbose » | Superstar » | John, not David, Brainerd » | Mormons & Jehovah's Witnesses Fastest Growing US "... » 

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 

I Bet You Think This Verse is About You

Scripture is so great.

I was studying the passage in Luke where Jesus is talking to the disciples about picking up their cross daily and following him (Luke 9:18-27.) But it is so easy to gloss over statements like this. It’s so easy for a passage like this to lose its meaning.

When I have read this passage in the past I’ve take Jesus statement, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” as just another way of saying “you have to deny your sin.” Now I do think Jesus is saying this, but I think he is saying far more than this.

My temptation when I read the Bible is to think of myself first. Wrong. I need to think of the original audience first.

What would the 12 disciples have thought when Jesus told them to pick up a cross and follow him? I think they probably would have freaked out. These 12 men lived mostly in Galilea outside of Jerusalem. I’m sure in their lifetime they had seen a crucifixion. They probably vividly knew that if you picked up a cross you didn’t come back. The cross was a one way road to death. And that is exactly the point Christ was making to the disciples. He was saying they must die.

Christ was going to pick up his cross to save people who deserved eternal punishment for their sins and he was asking his disciples to join him--not to literally die on that day, but to die to self and live for him. He was asking them to join him in all his humiliation and rejection.

It’s no wonder in that Matthew 16:22 (Matthew’s accounting of the same event) Peter rebuked Jesus. But Jesus was right, these men did not have the things of God in mind, but the things of men.

Doesn’t that give new meaning to those words? So remember to read your Bible with the original audience in mind before you think “What does this have to do with me?”

- from Eric @ New Attitude

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page