He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Touch My Body » | Pray for Missionaries Children » | What We Personalized, Read, & Prayed Over Luke at ... » | Best Commercial Ever » | It Can Take Time » | Hope for Japan's 'Seekers' » | Ordinary Can Still Be Very Difficult » | Pitchfork Theology » | Counter-Cultural » | And the Word Spread » 

Monday, April 28, 2008 

Do Hard Things

I don't just take things at face value. I need to examine, question, research, & test things for myself before I come to a conclusion. That's why when Alex & Brett Harris released their book, Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations came out, I was very suspicious of the immediate fanfare it received from the Christian circles I frequent on the internet.

My suspicion was due in large part to the fact that Alex & Brett are brothers of Josh Harris, popular author & pastor, who happened to replace the even more popular C.J. Mahaney as pastor of Covenant Life Church, which is the birthplace of the very popular Sovereign Grace Ministries. My skeptical side says, "I wonder if these young guys were not linked to Josh Harris & C.J. Mahaney if they'd be getting the same type of promotion and praise from what I see as the more solid ministries, churches, & individuals in the American Church."

All that said, I don't own the book, haven't read the book, but hope one day to get it & read it. But last week I came to understand at least the title of the book which, without even reading it, gave it credibility in my mind. My friend Tyler Eiland has taken to running 20 miles a week & one of the young teen guys I disciple, Zach Sollie, runs marathons. Since entering seminary & a church staff, I have had my only excercise when I'm walking from room to room or from my car to the building I'm going in to. With the inspiration of my friends, I took to try to start running & get my heart & body in shape.

It took me 3 weeks to get to where I could finally run 20 minutes straight without stopping so that I wouldn't die. Somewhere towards the end of the 2nd week, even though I was about to die, I kept pushing. I physically didn't feel good, but I felt joy, pleasure, & contentment from being in God's creation outside, from breaking a sweat, from working towards something that wasn't easy.

And then I realized - the reason I haven't run or worked out or exercised is because after years & years of not doing anything to physical train my body, something as simple as running had become hard. And when something is hard, in our culture, we just move on to something easier. Greek was hard - so I took the minimum amount required and quit. Lifting weights are heavy - so when on my birthday 2 years ago I got a gym membership, I maybe made it to the building 4 times, & somewhat because of my schedule, but also because it was hard, I quit.

You get the point - most things that are worthwhile are hard. Over a month later, I'm enjoying running somewhat for the first time in my life. I don't enjoy it because it is fun as much as it is the satisfaction of my body growing, adapting, and improving. So, without reading the book yet, I give it a thumbs up for the idea. Whether it is learning a foreign language to share the Gospel, memorizing Scripture, moving to an inner-city urban area to share the love of Christ, or getting in shape, God is glorified from the satisfaction we have in Him as He works & moves to enable us to do hard things.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page