He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Sealed for God » | Glory Incomparable » | My Trek Up the Mountain » | Japan Looks Inward » | Storm a'Brewin' in Shiz Town » | Japanese Households on Welfare Rise to Record » | Jesus Married Miyuko & was Buried in Shingo Villag... » | Please Pray for us Today (6th) & Tomorrow (7th) » | At the Top of a Mountain » | Blessed to Receive » 

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 

Striking Sovereignty

If you count at least a couple of months as qualifying for a minimum of living in a place, then in my adult life I've lived in Birmingham, Auburn, Opelika, Louisville, Chattanooga, New York City (Manhattan), Indonesia, & now Japan. Now let me be honest, going from Birmingham to Auburn back to Birmingham to Chattanooga to Louisville to Opelika did not exactly make me appreciate the scope of God's sovereignty or stretch my capacity to wonder in amazement at the omnipresence of God.

But when I met a different world in New York City, Indonesia, & now Japan & I can appreciate & think about the vast amounts of people, the diversity of culture, the trillions of things simultaneously happening at once & can actually picture places, faces, & things in those areas, I am blown away at the sovereignty of God. It is so easy to flippantly talk about God being sovereign, but I haven't been to or seen most of the world, & in my small travels & living in different places, now that I've tasted the food there, breathed the air there, it awakens in me a mind-blowing, mind-hurting humility that is just the pin prick beginning of even starting to comprehend the vastness of God. Just being able to live in one place & remember clearly a whole different existence going on back home has begun to cultivate a new understanding of how sovereign His sovereignty is.

In all these places He rules over ever weed, every bite of food, every slight gust of wind, every crystal of sand, every strand of dust, every death, everything. And then think of India, every province, village, & town, the same for China, all the island nations of the earth. Think of all that we can't even think of because we do not, cannot know, & so we cannot fully honor & appreciate what kind of God it is that never sleeps, always reigns, & is always good.

Wow.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page