He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Green Tea Short Documentary from Shizuoka, Japan » | Experience the Shizuoka Earthquake » | How Married Japanese Couples between 40-69 View Ea... » | We Are All Romish » | Humility & Assurance » | Loving the Lost » | Nothing Amateurish About These Amateurs » | If You're a Christian, 2 More Reasons to Adopt » | Land of the Setting Sun » | Why Do Good Things Happen to Bad People? » 

Sunday, October 18, 2009 

Peril

Sovereign Commander of the Universe,

I am sadly harassed by doubts, fears, unbelief,

in a felt spiritual darkness.

My heart is full of evil surmising and disquietude,

And I cannot act faith at all.

My heavenly pilot has disappeared,

and I have lost my hold on the rock of ages;

I sink in deep mire beneath storms and waves,

in horror and distress unutterable.

Help me, O Lord,

to throw myself absolutely and wholly on thee,

for better, for worse, without comfort and all but hopeless.

Give me peace of soul, confidence, enlargement of mind,

morning joy that comes after night heaviness;

Water my soul richly with divine blessings;

Grant that I may welcome thy humbling in private

so that I might enjoy thee in public;

Give me a mountain top as high as the valley is low,

Thy grace can melt the worst sinner, and I am as vile as he;

Yet thou hast made me a monument of mercy,

a trophy of redeeming power;

In my distress let me not forget this.

All-wise God,

Thy never-failing providence orders every event.

sweetens every fear,

reveals evil’s presence lurking in seeming good,

brings good out of seeming evil,

makes unsatisfactory what I set my heart upon,

to show me what a short-sighted creature I am,

And to teach me to live by faith upon thy blessed self.

Out of my sorrow and night

give me the name Naphtali -'satisfied with favour'-

help me to love thee as thy child,

and to walk worthy of my heavenly pedigree.




- from Valley of Vision

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page