He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Immorality is Vandalism » | I Love You » | Solomon Kane » | Preaching is the Proof: Why Preaching Better Be In... » | Japanese English » | Japan...Funny, Funny Japan » | Douglas Wilson - Teaching Children to Love the Sta... » | Maranatha » | You Can Always Count on 9 Marks » | Equally Skilled - Jon Foreman » 

Friday, November 06, 2009 

Do Not Envy the 400-pound Man

“Look, you religious types are all alike. You look down your noses at people having a good time, and you’re envious. You wish you could get a little action. But you can’t because of all your rules. So you cram your rules down our throats.”

Evangelist smiled and slowly shook his head. “I will not defend the rules; they are not mine to defend, they are God’s. He will apply and defend them adequately enough. As to your accusation of envy, I have only one thing to say. If I see a 400-pound man on the street, I do not envy him all the additional pleasure he has had at the dinner table. Nor do I envy you your time in bed.”

Randy stepped back several paces, looking confused. He was not getting the best of the exchange, and he was not sure why. He usually had a good deal of fun with Christians.

“I can’t imagine anything more boring than what you say God requires. Making love to only one woman for life. God! That’s like buying one record and taking it home and playing it over and over and over again.”

“I’m afraid your analogy is a faulty one. It is not like buying one record, it is like buying one instrument and learning how to play it. If you are committed, boredom is not a danger.”

Randy’s laughter was increasingly nervous, and he had a hunted expression. “I just couldn’t live like you do. I want to spend my time around pretty women.”

This time it was Evangelist’s turn to laugh, but there was no mockery in it.

“Then why do you spend time with women who are not? My wife, Compassion, is a beautiful woman, and her beauty begins on the inside. I have never been ashamed of her. I would be very ashamed indeed to be involved with a woman who was willing to be used as a thing.”

By this time Randy looked very uncomfortable. He was looking at the ground, and he started to move away.

“I really need to be going,” he said.

Evangelist put a gentle hand on his arm.

“Before you go, may I ask you one question?”

“Go ahead.”

“You have a habit, and that habit has enslaved you to your lusts. So much is understandable. But why do you boast in the vice?”

Randy looked at Evangelist for a moment. He was obviously thinking hard.

“If I come back here later, will you be here?”

“If God is willing.”

“You say that I am a slave. Do you know how slaves can be set free?”

“I do.”

“I need some time to think. I may be back.”

With that, Randy turned and slowly resumed his walk down the road. It was clear that, for the first time in many years, a completely different kind of desire had come over him.


- Douglas Wilson, Persuasions, pp. 13-14

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page