He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Dolla Dolla Bills Y'all » | Second Harvest » | One Way to Not Waste Your Life » | You Were Made For This » | Did You Know? » | Prideful Missionaries » | I Used to Hate Adoption » | 10 Prayers for the Sake of Orphans in 2010 » | A Baby to Remember » | National Poverty Line » 

Thursday, January 28, 2010 

Preaching & Interpretation

"Hence when one asked him if he was ever afraid of running short of sermons some day, he replied - 'No; I am just an interpreter of Scripture in my sermons; and when the Bible runs dry, then I shall.' And in the same spirit he carefully avoided the too common mode of accomodating texts - fastening a doctrine on the words, not drawing it from the obvious connection of the passage. He endeavoured at all times to preach the mind of the Spirit in the passage; for he feared that to do otherwise would be to grieve the Spirit who had written it. Interpretation was thus a solemn matter to him."


- Andrew Bonar on Robert M. M'Cheyne

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page