He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Resources » | A Seminary Divided WIll Not Stand » | IMB Podcasting » | Joshua Harris on Psalm 90 » | Playing With the Gospel » | New Fun Feature » | Key Bible Themes to Teach Children » | Monday is for Missions » | Introducting David Platt » | I'll Drink to That! » 

Friday, February 02, 2007 

Multi-Site Mullings

A growing trend in the American church is the Multi-site Church. I want to state from the outset that I do not think it is evil or Satanic or that if it is practiced by your church or someone you admire and know's church, that you should cut off fellowship with that brother.

In fact, I preface this entire thing as my opinion alone with something not that I totally reject but as something I am uneasy with. John Piper's church practices a form of it with videos and their 3 campuses in the Minneapolis area. Al Mohler's church (yes, yes I know: by Piper & Mohler's church I do mean God's church) is a multi-site campus too (which I almost joined while living in Louisville for the record), and so please understand that I wish to point the finger at either of these giants theologically or at anyone else. I want to be on complete board with the Regulative Principle, but am not quite there, so...

My question is, "Why not just plant new churches?" First, let me say I think that having multiple sites is better than not planting a church at all and not growing to reach other areas at all. If it is between one church building up in only one part of town, or not growing at all, versus the multi-site model, I'd vote for the multi-site anyday. I think that makes me inconsistent, but I'm comfortable with that in this case.

Now, if a church is a congregation of people who gather together, then by definition, shouldn't each separate location be a separate church? In the videocast churches, usually there is a campus pastor who does not do the preaching who is to shepherd the congregation. But is it not dangerous to divorce the role of the pastor as teacher and shepherd biblically? And what of Baptist churches who follow the New Testament model of congregational rule and pastor lead? If one pastor is pastor of several churches, does he not become bishopesque of that geographical gathering of churches?

My question remains, "Why not plant new churches?" I believe that you could even begin with a muti-site model (I wouldn't argue for it Biblically, but would say it could be a form of church planting), & then phase out the leadership role of the pastor to a congregationally approved and voted for pastor who will then lead the church. Work in close association with that church, guide it, help it, but trust God to grow it and establish it.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page