He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Baptists Are Right » | Persecuted Church Resources » | Missional Mindset » | What I Am Learning at the Alabama Baptist Convention » | Believing God » | God Help Us » | Southern Baptist Possible Solutions » | God at Work » | Petrified » | "Make Way" - Eat with Ethereal » 

Friday, December 01, 2006 

I'll Drink to That!

John Piper - God's gift to America & beyond in the 21st century. Should we drink or not? What music is appropriate for Christians to listen to? What TV shows and movies should Christians avoid? I love the way Piper approaches these issues through his reflection on the Word, from Hebrews 12:1 -

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us"

The fight of faith - the race of the Christian life - is not fought well or run well by asking, "what's wrong with this or that?" but by asking, "is it in the way of greater faith and greater love and greater purity and greater courage and greater humility and greater patience and greater self-control? Not ; Is it a sin? But: Does it help me run! Is it in the way?

As a boy I was mightily helped by having my very categories changed in the way I lived my life. I commend it to you young people especially. Don't ask about your music, your movies, your parties, your habits: What's wrong with it? Ask: Does it help me RUN the race!? Does it help me RUN - for Jesus?

Hebrews 12:1 is a command to look at your life, think hard about what you are doing, and get ruthless about what stays and what goes. - read or listen to the whole sermon here.

And I can drink to that - albeit a nearly hour-long in the freezer, ice slushed Cherry Coke.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page