He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | What I Am Learning at the Alabama Baptist Convention » | Believing God » | God Help Us » | Southern Baptist Possible Solutions » | God at Work » | Petrified » | "Make Way" - Eat with Ethereal » | Ergun, My Brother » | Popularity & Comparisons » | Discerning Readers Want to Know » 

Monday, November 20, 2006 

Missional Mindset

"Let's take a brief quiz together. What do you call a woman who works in a hospital assisting doctors? Here in America we call her a nurse. But if that nurse gets on an airplane and goes to the Philippines, what is she called? A medical missionary, right? Do you see the difference in persepctive? Why do we not view her (& why does she not often view herself) as a medical missionary here?

Some years ago while visiting a church I overheard a conversation in which a woman was asked what she did for a living. I have never forgotten her reply: 'What do I do? I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, on mission for Him, cleverly disguised as an emergency room nurse.' That is the perspective we need to cultivate in our day! What advances would we make in kingdom work if all believers answered the questions about the occupation this way: ' What do I do? I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, on mission for Him, clevery disguised as a __________.'"


-Dr. Timothy Beougher, SBTS professor of Evangelism & Church Growth & Associate Dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions, Evangelism & Church Growth, from The Challenge of the Great Commission: Essays on God's Mandate for the Local Church.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page