He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Historical First: Muslims More Numerous than Catho... » | Were I the Enemy... » | Restoring Integrity to Membership: My Cousin's Chu... » | About Japan - III » | About Japan - II » | 16 Lessons Learned from David & Bathsheba » | God is Moving in Iran » | About Japan - I » | Statistics that may Surprise You » | The Self-Service Church » 

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 

6 Observations from a Promise, 4 Reasons for Missions


"I have other sheep that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd." - John 10:16

6 Observations from Christ's Missionary Promise in John 10

1. Jesus calls himself a shepherd.

- Verse 11: "I am the good shepherd."

- Verse 14: "I am the good shepherd."

2. Some sheep are Christ's and some are not.

- Verses 3b-4: "...He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them."

Verse 14: "I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me."

3. The reason some sheep belonged to Jesus so that he could call them his own is that God the Father had given them to the Son.

- Verse 29: "My Father who has given them to me, is greater than all and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand."

4. Since Jesus knows those who are his, he can call them by name and because they are already his they follow.

- Verses 3b-4: The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own he goes before them and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.

- Verse 27: My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

- Verse 26: You do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep.

5. But that is not all that Jesus does for his sheep.

- Verse 11: I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

- Verses 14-15: I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me, as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.

6. On the basis of this sacrifice Jesus gives eternal life to his sheep and it can never be taken away.

- Verses 27-30: My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one.


4 Reasons We Should Do Missions Confidently

1. Christ has people besides those already converted—other people besides us.

2. The verse implies that the "other sheep" that Christ has are scattered outside the present fold.

3. The Lord has committed himself to bring his lost sheep home.

4. If he brings them they will come!

"I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice." - John 10:16

- John Piper from the Don't Waste Your Life Conference

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page