He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | January 09 Newsletter - Rainer » | WELCOME! » | Japan Looks Back on 17th-Century Persecutions » | Him Whom They Have Pierced » | Language of the Trees » | Grand Theft Against the Gospel? » | Downturn Stirs Japan Suicide Fears » | The Less-evangelized Areas and Peoples of Japan » | JOB » | The Family Eternal » 

Saturday, January 03, 2009 

Bible in 2009 - bibleplan.org

We're a few days into 2009, & it seems the theme right now for any good Evangelical blogging Christian is to post on bible reading plans & what you are using & why. Seeing that I'm a good Evangelical blogging Christian, I have to jump in with the masses & let everyone know what I'm doing and why. I am compelled.

I will be reading the ESV New Testament & Proverbs twice through this year, & read once through the book of Psalms. I can hear your gasps..."you mean, you're not reading through your entire Bible this year?" No folks, not this year. The Old Testament is so...old. KIDDING! I am not giving the New Testament any weight over the Old, but & I wanted this year to shoot for quality over quantity. I wanted to be able to focus on depth instead of breadth. So the last couple years I have read through the whole Bible each year. It's a good plan, a good idea. Yet, it can also become legalistic & a rush to turn the pages & check the list instead of life to soul. Knowing I would be learning a new way of life, language, & culture beginning this year, I thought it wise to focus & be transformed through meditation on the Word, not merely gettin' er done.

You read 2 chapters a day on this plan. It gives you plenty of time to think, meditate, & pray over the Scripture. It also gives you the opportunity to start & finish the day in those chapters if you find the time.

You can find the plan here. Or if you want, you can go here & have the daily readings sent to your email inbox by signing up. Perhaps you're thinking, I like the idea, but I want the Old Testament in one year. You are in luck my friends, the Old Testament in a year as well as a spread, a feast, of other plans is available here. But warning, if you like those plans where it's all chopped up into reading 4 different sections a day (how do you keep up with what you're reading?!?!) you'll be disappointed! Whew...now I feel like I've done my duty as a good Evangelical blogging Christian!

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page