He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Spiritual Darkness & Need of Japan » | Forgiveness, Gospel Restoration/Love, & Historical... » | My Only Hope. » | Spotlight: Zambia & Baba Mkubwa Justin » | Imagine a Bird trapped in a Few Square Feet Flying... » | The Marathon Has Begun! » | Setsubun » | Shots from Around Shiz Town » | OH! » | Converted to Christ by Shinto Priest » 

Saturday, February 14, 2009 

Day of Celebration

Today is a day for me to celebrate. And no, actually, it has nothing to do with the fact that it's Valentines Day. But it has everything to do with the fact that it is February 14th. Today my niece turns 1 year old, & the friend I've had since 4th grade, the only friend left from elementary school, middle school, high school, college, roomates, & fraternity, is getting married today.

At first thought it is kind of sad. I have this pink, chunky, nose squiggling, spunky niece who is celebrating her birthday I'm sure with my sister, brother-in-law, & I would imagine my parents & maybe even my other sister. And I can't be there.

My friend who is getting married asked me to be his best man, as he was my best man at my wedding, said he would pay any cost to get me over from Japan, but we have a policy that doesn't allow us to leave the mission field during our first year. So it is upsetting that I cannot be there.

However, the greater picture tells the greater story. My sweet niece Caroline was born to the baby of our family, the youngest of 4 children, Rachel. When Rachel was just a little older than Caroline, she had to have open-heart surgery. Many children died from that procedure with a condition as serious as hers, but God spared her physical life. Then as a young teenager, the Lord who had saved her soul by now too, lit a fire underneath her, & as I lived as immorally as I could find ways down in college, Rachel was praying for me, lovingly sharing Christ with me just matter-of-factly when I came home. It was one of the first times I considered the fact that maybe I was not reconciled to God through Christ. And the Lord kept His hand on her (my sister), gave her an amazing, godly husband, & now Caroline comes as another miracle in her life. How can I be sad? How can I do anything other than rejoice, celebrate?!

My friend Josh? I was writing a seminary paper on a Saturday in February 2004 in the SBTS library taking a break to watch the snow softly falling. Like a 2 ton truck had hit me, the Lord told me in my spirit that Josh was lost, & though I had made efforts before, I was to share with him all the Lord told me. I ignored it because Josh was my last friend left from before I was saved & I had shared with him & though I knew he was lost, what else can you do when someone affirms all your words, when they won't recognized they are lost? I went to bed that night & around 2:30 am, that truck hit me again, & I got out of bed & began writing one of many, many letters that I would write him over the next several years, along with phone calls & visits, all pleading with him to come to Christ. Eventually, it took its toll on the relationship, & for 14 months, we didn't exchange a word. I had lost a best friend. It made no sense to me.

Then in October about a year & a half ago, I get a call. It's Josh. He's telling me God used what I told him over the years along with Biblical teaching he was hearing at a church at home to redeem him. He's one of those guys with a good heart, never saw his need for a Savior, but always agreed with me about Jesus being great & acted like he was a believer. I was just glad to talk to him, but I had heard his song & dance before. But we visited. He was different. We started talking again, he was not the same person. He was breathing & bleeding Christ, genuinely! And he continues to grow today.

And now, on another Saturday in another February from the one years ago, he is getting married to another young Christian God brought his way, & even though it is sad that I cannot be there, how can I not rejoice that a best friend since grade school is walking in the truth, is making a covenant before God to serve his wife in a Christ-like manner, & is bringing glory to God in the business world in Birmingham & to his neighbors.

I'm literally half-way around the world today, but my heart is in Alabama today ,& my heart is full.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page