He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Japan's Exam Hell Reaches Pre-School » | Shizuoka City - Our Home, Nihondaira Plain, Mt. Fuji » | Foreknowledge » | Election » | Gospel Presentation & Testimony of Paul David Washer » | Shizuoka Matsuri » | Shake Their Confidence » | Many People in This City » | Pretty & Dead » | The Wrong Kind of Conversion » 

Monday, April 27, 2009 

I'll Overcome Someday

I was listening to a clip of Martin Luther King's "We Shall Overcome" speech. It made me think of all the obstacles in reaching the Japanese here. On many hours of most days the thought of many Japanese getting saved & churches sprouting & the Spirit moving in such a mighty way that the nation would be transformed seems downright silly...almost.

Thinking about MLK & the faith he had that sooner or later racism in the US, at least on a human rights level, would crumble, humbles me in my weak faith that at least in my lifetime I will not see a vast working of the Spirit of God among this people.

"We Shall Overcome" became a type of theme song for the Civil Rights movement & today we hear it still as a rallying cry whether it be to return the Democrats to the White House or in news coverage of the Burmese Buddhists plight against their corrupt military government. But what I found interesting about this song was that, though this is disputed, it seems to have been adapted from Charles Tindley, an African-American Methodist pastor who wrote the song, "I'll Overcome Someday."

Now that song, complete with Christ at the center of it, is inspiring. And between it's words & seeing how all odds were against MLK & the black community of the Civil Rights era, & then to see the US today which often takes it's cultural lead from the black icons in music, film, & sports, to the election of the first president with African-American blood, I am encouraged & reminded that the Lord can move as quickly here if He so pleases with a dramatic sweeping of the Spirit in Japan. I pray it be so...until then:

I'll Overcome Someday

This world is one great battlefield,
with forces all arayed;
if in my heart I do not yield,
I'll overcome someday.

I'll overcome someday (some day),
I'll overcome someday;
if in my heart I do not yield,
I'll overcome someday.

Both seen and unseen powers
join to drive my soul astray,
but with God's word, a sword of mine,
I'll overcome someday.

I'll overcome someday (some day),
I'll overcome someday;
but with God's word, a sword of mine,
I'll overcome someday.

A thousand snares are set for me,
and mountains in my way;
if Jesus will my leader be,
I'll overcome someday.

I'll overcome someday (some day),
I'll overcome someday;
if Jesus will my leader be,
I'll overcome someday.

I fail so often when I try,
my Savior to obey;
it pains my hear and then I cry,
Lord, make me strong someday.

Lord, make me strong someday (some day),
Lord, make me strong someday;
it pains my hear and then I cry,
Lord, make me strong someday.

My mind is not to do the wrong,
but walk the narrow way;
I'm praying as I journey on,
to overcome someday.

To overcome someday (someday),
to overcome someday;
I'm praying as I journey on,
to overcome someday.

Though many a time no signs appear,
of answer when I pray;
my Jesus says I need not fear,
He'll make it plain someday.

I'll be like Him someday (someday),
I'll be like Him someday;
my Jesus says I need not fear,
He'll make it plain someday.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page