He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Sovereign Means Sovereign » | Orphan Sunday - Nov 8, 2009 » | Heirs With Christ » | A Land of Contrasts » | Can a Pastor Preach to 12 People? » | Finally, a Real Reason for Twitter » | The American Dream or the Great Commission Resurgence » | Redeems All Things » | The Tyranny of the Church » | What is Salvation - in 2 minutes » 

Thursday, September 24, 2009 

Orphans AND WIDOWS

As I have been studying & trying to learn more about adoption, I continually come across James 1:27 - "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

After reading Isaiah 1 today, I saw the same idea there, "learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause" (v. 17).

I was convicted at how easily it was for me to just pass over 50% of these verses because it didn't fit my plan for my life. I'm eager to adopt & we hope the Lord paves the way. I know of nothing that's a clearer illustration of our standing in Christ than adoption. And yet, while there's not a thing in the world wrong with wanting to take care of a child, to provide love & nurture, etc...it fits my idea of what I want more easily, & so the charge to care for the widows gets erased by the image of sweet children in our midst.

It's not an either or, but a both. Not many people are fans of changing diapers, but I think if anyone was forced into it, they'd choose changing a child's diapers over a widow's diapers any day. We expect & are patient with children who fuss or say the wrong things, but we don't have the same patience & forgiveness when those who are old enough to know better do it. I'm just saying, only a small percentage of the world would choose 1 hour in a room with an old woman over 1 hour in a room with a baby or child.

I'm praying that every time my heart breaks for the orphans of the world, God would equally break my heart for the widow. Lord teach me that I may learn to do good, seek justice, correct oppression, that my religion before you would be pure & undefiled.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page