He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Paul Washer on Missions » | The Historical Resurrection of Christ » | Do Not Envy the 400-pound Man » | Immorality is Vandalism » | I Love You » | Solomon Kane » | Preaching is the Proof: Why Preaching Better Be In... » | Japanese English » | Japan...Funny, Funny Japan » | Douglas Wilson - Teaching Children to Love the Sta... » 

Monday, November 09, 2009 

Foolishness of God

When Jesus announces the betrayal by Judas at the Passover, He alludes to Psalm 41:9. The one who dipped his hand with me in the dish, Jesus says, betrays Him; centuries earlier, David had written, “My close friend, in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.” That is Judas; he lifts his heel to crush Jesus.

This all seems wrong. Jesus is the conquer; Jesus is the seed of the woman. He should be the one lifting up His heel against others, against the wicked, against the Satanic accuser. But that’s not what happens. Judas the betrayer lifts his heel, and Jesus looks like the serpent being crushed beneath. Jesus looks like the one with the crushed head, not the one with the bruised heel.

That is the foolishness of God that reveals the deepest wisdom.



- Peter Leithart, Lifting the Heel

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page