He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Website to Email those 'Left Behind' After Rapture » | Why Do You Think Japan's Suicide Rate So High? » | YES WE CAN!! » | What Did You Say? Hilarious! » | 8 Years » | God Works on Another Scale » | Recommended Books from Desiring God » | Recommended Individual Commentaries on Each Book » | Community Church » | Love Abounds » 

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 

Is Google Making Us Stupid?

My dad sent this article to me today & it really made me consider possibly cancelling all my google reader subscriptions, as I've found it hard to get deep into books I've been longing to get to for the last several years. It's my attention span. I think I have trained my brain to read blurbs, blips, short blogs, news excerpts, etc..., I think I am losing my capacity to think deeply & meditate over deep content for long periods of time. The benefit is being able to stay up-to-date with what is developing in the world, but the downside may have dire consequences. Anyways, my brother & others that my dad sent the email too had some funny responses to the article:

The first few lines of this article was really good. But then I drifted off and started to play with my shiny keys. Oooohhh, shiny. It’s sad, but google is my brain now. It’s getting to the point I want it to finish my thoughts and stories. I’m in the middle of a sentence, and can’t recall some name or phrase. Then it happens. I start wishing I had Google in front of me. I’ve outsourced the portion of my brain that used to be in charge of recall to Google. My attention span gets shorter and shorter all the time. I notice this at work especially. I find myself taking breaks every few minutes because my mind just wanders. I used to read books all the time, but now I rarely do. I’m bored with this email now. Must find better things to do.

I sometimes wear depends so I can spend more quality time googleing.

At least you have an excuse. You are getting old like me.

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page