He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | Bible in 2009 - bibleplan.org » | January 09 Newsletter - Rainer » | WELCOME! » | Japan Looks Back on 17th-Century Persecutions » | Him Whom They Have Pierced » | Language of the Trees » | Grand Theft Against the Gospel? » | Downturn Stirs Japan Suicide Fears » | The Less-evangelized Areas and Peoples of Japan » | JOB » 

Sunday, January 04, 2009 

Japan to Raise English Fluency

Based on the headline, I don't think I'm going to worry with learning the language...I'll wait for them to learn ours - just to be a good missionary. I'm joking of course, but according to an article from The Straits Times, "The Japanese government has set an ambitious goal of making the Japanese fluent in English, by recommending that all English classes for those aged 16 to 18 are taught mainly in that language from 2013.

The inability of most Japanese to speak English, despite compulsory classes from the age of 13, is well known and a source of embarrassment for Japan." The article goes on to debate if without other changes this will actually lead to greater English speaking ability for the Japanese. But that's not my purpose of posting this. I am hopeful that as more students learn to speak English, they will be more interested to talking to English speakers, & that the Lord will orchestrate many salvations through Japanese wanting to practice English with missionaries or believers from the West living in Japan. I was told just 2 days ago how a Japanese came to Christ when she was in middle school because she wanted to learn to speak English better & knew there was a missionary down the street, & began meeting regularly. Soon she was a believer - I'm praying this will be an open door for much of the same.

I'm also praying I'll learn the language for the millions who won't/don't know English!

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page