He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | King-ly Preaching » | If This Blog Had Theme Music » | Loving People » | The Power of the Word of God » | Jesus Keeps His Promise His Way » | No Government But the Holy Spirit » | Go Figure (or - the Devil's in the Details) » | Why I Want Out » | SBC Faces 10 Questions About Future » | What is Theology? » 

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 

Sanctification: The Calvinist Way?

To one degree or another, I'm ashamed to say, I took...grace for granted. I was "in," and was making a reasonable effort toward my sanctification the Calvinist way. That is, I equated learning more theology, which is a good thing, with growing in grace, which is likewise a good thing. But confusing the two is not such a good thing.

Calvinists, and I am among them, tend to measure their own sanctification on a peculiar scale. You are a simple novitiate when God regenerates you and you trust in the finished work of Christ alone. You become a first-degree believer when you understand the difference between Calvinism and Arminianism. The next step is actually to read a Calvinist or two - Piper, Boice, or Sproul will do.

The next steps up the ladder correspond to the relative difficulty and obscurity of what you are reading. Calvin is better than Piper, but Turretin is better than Calvin. The next plateau has you reading Beza, Bullinger, and Bucer. You become an officer when you can actually quote VanTil. You reach the thirty-third degree when you actually understand that quotation.


- R.C. Sproul, Jr. from the foreword of To You and Your Children

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page