He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | More U.S. Women Having Fewer Children » | Saudi Man Kills Daughter for Converting to Christi... » | Why It's Good to Work in the World » | Closing Note From Japan » | I'm Just Sayin... » | Are You Sure? » | Painting the Map Blue » | Paul Loves the Old Testament » | Under Cover of Night » | Significance & Limitations of Short-term Missions » 

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 

International & National Desires

If I had 20 lifetimes, these are the top 10 countries internationally & the top 10 cities nationally that the Lord keeps on my heart & mind & that I wish I could serve a lifetime's worth in:

International:

1) Japan
2) China
3) Myanmar
4) North Korea
5) Thailand
6) Indonesia
7) Mongolia
8) Iran
9) Lebanon
10) Russia/Tibet (tie) - Tibet is not China

National:

1) New York City
2) Washington D.C.
3) Pittsburgh
4) Chicago
5) Salt Lake City
6) Santa Fe
7) Birmingham
8) San Francisco
9) Toronto (I know, not national)
10) New York City

Self Observations:

My wife was commenting to me the other day about how there's a handful of places that the Lord consistently keeps in my heart. It's true. I never thought about it or took the time to write all of it down. I'd say there may be a couple of stretches on each list to make it to 10, but there has at least been an intrigue about the needs & the desire to serve in each of these places more than just an occasional thought.

I was surprised once compiling the list at some facts. First, internationally, I never realized how many of the countries & peoples I long for the most are majority Buddhist. Historically, they have been the most resistant to the Gospel, so that makes sense I guess.

Another surprising observation is how many cold-weather places made both my lists. I guess I'm pleased because I don't think weather should be a driving factor, but I much rather enjoy the idea of warm weather, but even more the idea of serving God in His will. Of course it's just a tad easier to make a list than live in a place day in & day out. In fact, the only warm location on my national list is my hometown of Birmingham, Al. And if you can't tell, I can't get NYC out of my blood since living there a couple years ago for a summer.

Final observations, no African, South American, or European nation on my international list. I got nothing against those areas, but I guess I'm wired for the East. Finally, all this was just fun to do & think about - for all I know that Lord has a future for us prepared in Helena, Al - He knows!

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page