He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

« Home | God Does Not Need Us » | Commission Week Thoughts » | Palin Has Won My Vote » | International & National Desires » | More U.S. Women Having Fewer Children » | Saudi Man Kills Daughter for Converting to Christi... » | Why It's Good to Work in the World » | Closing Note From Japan » | I'm Just Sayin... » | Are You Sure? » 

Monday, September 15, 2008 

I Repent (part one)

Convicted?

If everybody in the church led the same amount of people to Christ that you lead to Christ, how often would your baptistery be used?

So asked Tom McCoy, current president of the Tennessee Baptist Convention. Granted, there are some doctrinal assumptions behind this question that are problematic. But is that a reason to brush aside the question altogether? Or could it be that a dismissive wave-of-the-hand would only be an effort at self-protection? For me, it would be the latter. I stink at personal evangelism.

I am convicted by the question, not because I have failed to produce “results” but because I have so few conversations with unbelievers in which a “result” could even occur. What to do? Well, I’m repenting of my sin. And like a good pastor, I’ve asked the church to repent with me. And like a really good pastor, I’ve outlined evidences of repentance, of which there are three (naturally).

Prayer is the first evidence of repentance over hoarding the gospel rather than sharing it. Here is what I’m now praying regularly, thanks to a very successful evangelist named Paul. The apostle Paul requested prayer for God to grant four things regarding evangelism:

1. OPPORTUNITY. Pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ (Col 4:3). “Father, please give me an opportunity to share Jesus with someone today.”

2. CLARITY. Pray also for us…that I may make [the mystery of Christ] clear, which is how I ought to speak (Col 4:3-4). “Father, please help me to talk about Jesus clearly, as I should.”

3. BRAVERY. [Pray] also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel…that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak (Eph 6:19-20). “Father, please give me courage to walk through every door you open and to share the whole gospel, not fearing what anyone might think of me.”

4. RECEPTIVITY. Pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored (2 Thess 3:1). “Father, please save people through my witness.”

Open doors, clear words, a brave heart, and changed lives. If Paul needed God to grant these requests, so do I. Hear my prayer, O Lord!

I’ll post a second evidence of repentance tomorrow.



- David King | To the Saints at Concord

About me

  • I'm DR
  • From Exiled
My profile

Links

The Bible Challenge


Test your knowledge of the Bible

This Day in History
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Visit www.esv.org to learn about the ESV Bible 9Marks Ministries
Locations of visitors to this page